In 1785, Christopher and Rebecca Gore purchased 40 acres of land in Waltham. Eventually, the Gores would own about 400 acres of land at their Waltham farm. While traveling in England, the Gores were notified that their wooden house in Waltham had burned down. Immediately, plans were made to build a more beautiful, elaborate structure. The Gores studied various English estates, and after consulting with the French architect Jacques-Guillaume Legrand, they began construction on their new Waltham mansion in March 1805. Materials were brought up the Charles River to Watertown by raft and then transported to Waltham via the Great Country Road. The brick estate is considered one of the finest examples of Federal period architecture in the United States. The interior features oval rooms, marble floors, and a spiral staircase. Gore was able to build the house for less than $24,000. Until his death in 1829, Christopher Gore spent at least half of every year at his Waltham estate. As a prominent national figure (he served as both governor and senator), Gore was able to entertain his many guests in a lavish and gracious setting at Gore Place.

 

Historic Waltham | Paine Estate | Lyman Estate Main Page